15 Useful Windows Command Prompt Tricks You Should Not Know
Command Prompt is looked the world of black and white, it is mostly used by the old user to run a command on it. Now GUI (Graphical User Interface) take place on it. You Might be thinking that it Is a piece of garbage to use, But if we ask about CMD by the old experienced user they will show you the power of CMD and use the amazing hack and awesome ticks and hacks. There is a lot of commands that can be used by CMD not by GUI. You might also think that it is very complicated to use, but I am telling you that it is not complicated and it very easy to user.
Today in this article I am sharing some amazing and cool CMD Tips and Tricks that you should really want to know.
1. Open CMD Window Inside A Directory
Switching one drive to another drive by typing “cd” tiresome to do it. This is a very simple trick to open your CMD to that drive you want, to this.
- Open your window folder
- Open your drive that you want to select for cmd. In this I select F drive you can see.
- Now click on the address bar it allows you to write type this command only “cmd” and press Enter.
- You can see CMD open by selecting drive F:\
2. See Your Wi-Fi Profile Password
If you forgot your wifi password using “netsh wlan show profile” you can see all wifi saved Profiles that are connected with your devices.
Select the wifi profile that you want to find wifi password. In this case it finds out the password of “Honor 8 Lite” specially made for this article to do this type this command.
netsh wlan show profile “WIFI name” key=clear
It looks like this
netsh wlan show profile “Honor 8 Lite” key=clear
Also, Read This Article How To Find WiFi Password Using CMD Of Own PC
3. Change the Color of the Command Prompt Window
The CMD has Default Black Background color and White text color. You can change the color of the text of CMD to this.
- Open your CMD and Right-click on the title bar of CMD and Select Properties.
- There will be the separate window that opens, Now “Colors”.
- At there you can Select the color for the screen text and Screen background, popup text and popup background and also change the transparency of the CMD window
- After you’re done choosing the most fitting colors for your personality, Click OK
You can also check the color by typing “help color “to check the color combination that suit you but it will save temporary not permanently. For permanent conversion apply method first
4. Watch Movie in An ASCII Version Of Star Wars (A New Hope)
By this trick, you can watch a movie of Star war A New Hope!
You should have to turn off the service of telnet, and make sure that it is enabled in your window
How to Enable Telnet service
Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off and turn on the Telnet service.
- When Telnet Service enables then go to Command Prompt and type “telnet” and press Enter there will new dialog box will be open
Now type “o” press and then type “telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl” and hit Enter. The movie (Movie in An ASCII Version Of Star Wars (A New Hope)) will start playing.
5. Generate Battery Health Report
These tricks help you generate battery health report which includes status like factory specifications, full battery capacity, and the current capacity and these are updated with each session. You can easily generate a battery report by using this simple CMD command.
- Open your Command Prompt as an Administrator or change directory using cd C:\Windows\System32
- Enter command powercfg/energy
- The system will take tile 60 seconds to analyze and then generate a report in the form of an HTML documents
To access the report, you can find the file stored as C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html
6. Copy CMD Output to Clipboard
Maybe you should try or not, that you cannot able to copy commands in Command prompt in simple word to say that you cannot copy on cmd. By this Command you can copy on cmd “| clip“.
For example: In this case, I copy “ipconfig” information on the clipboard, it will write “Ipconfig | clip“.
You can pass it a text file or any file you want
7. See If Packets or Internet is Working
With this command, you can check the internet is working or other words to say that the data packet is receiving or not to this Type “ping www.google.com”
8. Hide Folders using command prompt
If you want to hide the folder on your computer then you should use this command. This is a simple command to hide your folder. “attrib +h +s +r folder_name” Then enter the name of the folder you want to hide.
9. Change The Title Of The Command Prompt Window
When you open Command Prompt, for example, you can see in the title bar.
You can change the title of CMD by typing. “title Techgrinch”.
10. Find information about your computer
You can find your computer information with its specs name, version, Manufacturer, owner, system boot time Ram and much more to this type “ systeminfo ” and press Enter.
Also, Read This Article How to Create a Bootable USB Drive Using CMD (Command Prompt)
11. Drag and drop folders to insert a directory path
If you got some trouble to type the path of specific location then this method will help you. You Can copy paste the path or simple drag of drop the folder the window automatically insert it
12. Open Windows’ on-screen keyboard
You can open on-screen keyboard by typing “osk” into command prompt and press Enter.
13. Delete temporary files from your drive
In our Driver there are some of the temporary files on your drive can be deleted which we don’t need, with the following commands
(/q runs the operation without a confirmation prompt notification, /f ignores the read-only attribute and forces deletion for files, /s deletes contents from all sub-folders):
- Delete temporary user files in Window drive: “ del /q /f /s %temp%\* ”
- Delete temporary system files in Window drive (requires admin rights): “ del /s /q C:\Windows\temp\* ”
- Or run them together: “ del /q /f /s %temp%\* && del /s /q C:\Windows\temp\* ”.
14. View Your Computer’s Important Network Detail
By this command, you can see your internet connection information. It Will tell you MAC address Gateway address network devices and much more. To do this type “ ipconfig /all ”.
15. See every process running and connected
By this command, you can see the list of processes running on your computer and internet usage software.
For check processor list type “ tasklist ”
For check processor list type “ netstat –b ”
Or you can use them both by typing “ tasklist && netstat –b ”